About Me

My photo
Bonsall /Fallbrook, Ca, United States
To be able to capture a moment , That’s the magic of photography for me photography is a time machine. It is the only thing I know of that can stop time.

Friday, July 23, 2010

San Diego Bay



I’m a firm believer in gratitude. Those who are grateful for the blessings in which they have tend to live a much richer and fulfilled life. I’ll be the first to admit I’m amazingly fortunate to have grown up in the reality in which I did. While I wish I could say that everyone had as many amazing and wonderful experiences as I have, the truth is that many have not. Chances are if you’re reading this, you’re better off than the majority of the other 6 billion people out there. Just for that you should smile. Today I’d like to take a moment to bring your attention to 7 luxuries you may you forget you have. Nothing sensational in terms of creativity but my hope is it will force you to reflect.
Running Water
Nearly half of the entire world (a generous estimate) does not have running water. That doesn’t count the millions who have running water that isn’t safe to drink. When I wake up in the morning I often gulf down a large glass of water because I’m “dehydrated.” It’s amazing to me how many people aren’t allowed to have that pleasure. When I lived in China I was fortunate enough to help bringing clean drinking water to small village in the country. I can honestly say it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. One of the locals claimed the water to be a miracle because it cured diseases, when in fact it was just because it was clean. Cherish every drop.
Electricity

Again, having lived in China I was presented with a few unique travel opportunities that allowed to witness how scarce electricity is in some areas. Those who live in a 1st or 2nd world country have come accustomed to having lights and heating at their instant disposal but the fact is many individuals around the world aren’t as fortunate. You can help those who aren’t as lucky by doing your part to conserve energy and lend a hand for those who need it. Appreciate the light that allows you read before you pull the covers of your head and call it a night.
A Roof Over Your Head

The fact that you have a roof over your head puts you in some elite company by world standards. Sure many people have a roof but there are millions without a home. It’s often easy to forget that having a place you can call home is not guaranteed. Many people in the poorer nations of the world can’t afford a permanent place to stay and are in constant search of shelter.
A Guaranteed Meal

Hunger is one of the world’s greatest problems and being such one that needs our attention most. I once heard a statistic that said every night 25,000 children under the age of 5 die because of lack of food. Having a young sister that statistic really hits home for me. You are so lucky to have the ability to go get food at will. You are so fortunate not to have to scour the city to find something to eat out of the trash. By becoming conscious of what you eat and giving back to those in need you can help reduce this unneeded pain.
A Computer


I realize that this could fall under to the category of electricity but the potential that lies in the computer made it deserve a spot on it’s only. The things we are able to learn and create on the computer are absolutely mind blowing. Millions of people are using the computer to express themselves in a way that benefits the world. Not only that but you can learn anything within only a few clicks. 
Those that are fortunate enough to have a computer have at their disposal one of the most powerful technologies ever created. And because of it, I have you as my reader. :)








An Education




Not everyone in the world has the type of education that you and I have been blessed with. The fact that you’re reading this shows that you’re a highly intelligent individual (I didn’t say that to boost my ego.) Many poorer nations don’t have money or resources to provide a future for their kids. Don’t let your education go to waste. Instead use your smarts to help create creative solutions to solve the world’s greatest problems. Solutions won’t be easy but with people like you they can take place.
Freedom





Last but not least, freedom. Freedom means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. But for me it means our ability to decide how it is we want to live. Because we’ve been blessed with the basics that many people don’t have we can create the reality in which we desire. We talk a lot about how to make the most out of your life. How to be productive, How to take your business to the next level. But what we often forget is that many people don’t even have the basics of life covered. Not everyone is in a position to really take on the world. Not yet at least.






This post wasn’t written to make you to feel spoiled or depressed. Instead it was written to make you aware of how truly blessed you are. You are blessed. Wouldn’t you agree?

























No comments: